[meteorite-list] Strange two-tone rock on Mars

From: Norm Lehrman <nlehrman_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Feb 9 23:17:26 2006

Mark and all,

This really is a cool image. Thanks for bringing it
to our attention. I'm guessing you might appreciate a
serious reply or two.

On earth, this is immediately reminiscent of a
weathered lahar fragment. Volcanic mudflows involving
big blocks in an ashy matrix are almost universal in
the sorts of volcanic environments for which Mars
holds all the solar system records. Add some wind
ablation to sculpt both the block and the matrix, and
this image depicts the result. This scenario would
benefit from some liquid (water?) but could be seen in
a dry pyroclastic ash flow.

There are other possibilities, but this seem an
obvious first guess for Mars.

Regards,
Norm
(http://TektiteSource.com)