[meteorite-list] Membrane Boxes

From: Darren Garrison <cynapse_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat Feb 11 19:18:47 2006

On Sat, 11 Feb 2006 18:23:09 -0500, you wrote:

>I think it all comes down to a matter of personal preference.
>
>While I think all meteorites are beautiful, I have some meteorites that I
>think are more beautiful than others. Those that are extra special, are in
>membrane boxes so I can better see the entire specimen. Some of these
>meteorites are VERY inexpensive and others not. The actual cost of the
>meteorite is not a consideration so much as the actual beauty of the
>specimen and the ability to see it.

Yeah, I mentioned that earlier-- most of my pieces in that size range are in gem
jars, but a few are in membrane boxes when they look too good on both sides for
me to pick just one. And most of my larger ones that will fit are in Riker
boxes or those 2x2 plastic boxes instead of a membrane box of the similar size.
But a select few do go in membrane boxes. For instance, this 869, with amazing
brecciation on one side and nice flow lines on the other, is mounted in one of
the (I think) 100x50 mm boxes. But for the most part, I'm not willing to pay
the hundreds of percent price premium (but if the prices were nearly equal to
the competition, I'd buy membrane boxes exclusively).

http://www.renderosity.com/viewed.ez?galleryid=872981&Start=19&Artist=cynapse&ByArtist=Yes

It is a matter of philosopy, I suppose. Some are looking at the prices in
absolute terms of "it's only a dollar" but I'm looking at the relative terms of
the price of x verses y. At any price scale, there's got to be a good reason
for me to pay more than a few percent more for one item of the same general type
than the other.