[meteorite-list] Comments re: membrane boxes from Ron Hartman

From: R. N. Hartman <rhartman04_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun Feb 12 00:49:12 2006

Hello cynapse_at_charter.net and list:

To respond to your post: First of all, to have the factory install the
membrane is a big cost, and we can do it cheaper because we do it ourselves.
However, it is not the kind of thing done at home. We had to outfit a small
building where we do our assembly and operations. And, yes, we do have
higher quality control. We were finding instances where the space between
the membrane and the inner part of the plastic shell was not always as clean
as we demanded......little specks, shavings of membrane material, dust, etc.
Although we don't have a class 1000 clean room: i.e.:
<<Cleanrooms are 10,000 times cleaner than a hospital operating room. It
takes an incredible amount of technology to achieve and maintain such
cleanliness. Huge air filtration systems completely change the air in
cleanrooms about 10 times per minute, reducing the chance that there are
airborne particles that might harm the chips>>

we don't do badly at all with our present manufacturing assembly methods and
careful workmanship. Nevertheless, new technologies are developing all the
time and with decreasing costs for upgrading the fabrication facilities,
these things are always on our agenda for some future date.

Shipping charges of one 5000 cu. inch. carton from Europe by FedEx to us
average around $330.00, with savings with quantity. (This could add $2 to
$4 to the final retail cost of one box, depending on the size). This is why
we ususally purchase factory components at a ton-rate or more. Even so,
rates have gone up as much as 30% in the past year due to fuel surcharges
and FedEx normal yearly rate increases. Shipping is charged by volume and
not weight, and you can see that the boxes are mostly air. By applying the
membrane ourselves, we can get more shells into a shipping carton, thus
saving shipping costs and keeping costs down. Without this advantage,
prices could be 20-40% higher.

The polyurethane membrane is in fact a specially made formulation for the
membrane boxes. Not that polyurethane is exotic, but the specific
formulation for the boxes have a factory defined specific stretch, tear
resistance and "bounce" ability to absorbe shock utiling damped vibration
technology. One can go to:
http://www.efunda.com/formulae/vibrations/sdof_free_damped.cfm if one wishes
to look more into that (but I wouldn't want to!).

You are very right, that there are a number of extra steps after removal
from the mold. For example, that little dimple in the middle of the box was
much more before the box was finished! What you see is after drilling and
polishing to even it out.

I can understand any concern for prices and appreciate what seem to be
simple solutions. However, in the real world, many solutions are not as
simple as they may appear to be initially. There are many costs beyond
those for raw materials. And, don't forget: customs fees, foreign exchange
money transfer fees, processing fees, tariff charges, and for us, Paypal
charges, taxes, and on and on.

Ron Hartman