[meteorite-list] Adam's NWA 2989 Acapulcoite

From: John Birdsell <johnbirdsell_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue Feb 14 19:50:51 2006

Hi Adam...We were just curious, because in your ebay
ad you stated that you didn't have any accurate
figures on the TKW of pairings, and yet, the TKW of
~7.5kg has been publicly available on the internet for
months now, and in the Meteorite Bulletin data base it
states the following:

"[Provisional text]

Northwest Africa 2656

Morocco or Algeria

Find: Purchased 2003

Achondrite (acapulcoite)

History: A 386 g broken stone with weathered fusion
crust (part of a larger ~7.5 kg mass found in 2003)
was purchased in Erfoud, Morocco in 2004 for N. Oakes.
Petrography (T. Bunch and J. Wittke, NAU; A. Irving,
UWS): The specimen is recrystallized into homogeneous
polygonal and subhedral grains with a grain size of <1
mm and a somewhat equal distribution of phases.
Composition: Olivine Fa8.0 FeO/MnO = 16-19 (N = 25);
Orthopyroxene Fs8.4Wo2.4, N = 17; Plagioclase
An18.3?21.0Or2.8?3.4; Chromite, (Cr/Cr+Al) = 0.85,
Mg/(Mg+Fe) = 0.41. Troilite, schreibersite and
kamacite are also present. Oxygen Isotopes (D.
Rumble, CIW): Replicate analyses by laser fluorination
gave d17O = 1.71, 1.69?, d18O = 5.05, 5.04?, D17O =
-0.953, -0.973?, respectively. Classification:
Achondrite (acapulcoite) with minor shock and moderate
weathering. Specimens: A 21 g specimen and one
polished thin section are on deposit at NAU. Oakes
holds the main mass."