[meteorite-list] Rochester Meteorite - 12-28-1876 - Elyria, Ohio

From: MARK BOSTICK <thebigcollector_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat Feb 18 08:45:12 2006

Paper: Elyria Constitution
City: Elyria, Ohio
Date: Thursday, December 28, 1876
Page: 3 (of 4)

Under "TOWN AND COUNTY." and "DAILY CHRONICLE."

     Friday. - Last night a little after 9 o'clock a shower of brilliant
meteors passed over this place in an easterly direction. There were
thirty-four large ones and four smaller ones. They were about four minutes
in passing the horizon and when they had disappeared a distinct explosion,
something like distant thunder was heard in the west, which was evidently
caused by the meteor as it exploded, and what was seen at this point were
the fragments produced by the explosion. Those who saw it all agree that it
was one of the grandest sights they ever witnessed.

(end)

Clear Skies,
Mark Bostick
Wichita, Kansas
http://www.meteoritearticles.com
http://www.coinandstampman.com
http://www.imca.cc

http://stores.ebay.com/meteoritearticles

PDF copy of this article, and most of those on my website, are available
upon e-mail request.

The NPA in the subject line, stands for Newspaper Article. The old list
server allowed us a search feature the current does not, so I guess this is
more for quick reference and shortening the subject line now.