[meteorite-list] Pultusk total mass

From: meteoriteplaya_at_comcast.net <meteoriteplaya_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon Feb 20 12:29:10 2006

Hi Matteo & List
I just wanted to point out that you have used an amount from the first edition
of A to Z of 999 kg. It was actually 999+kg in that edition. In the second
edition I went back to 200+kg as it is listed in the 5th ed Catalogue of
Meteorites. I felt the 999+kg was a mistake and way over the weight recovered.
Now just to explain how I came up with the numbers. If you see the numbers 9 or
99 or 999 etc you can tell these are numbers I created based on various sources
including my own experiences. As we all know sometimes the TKW used in the
Catalogue of Meteorites is out of date so I try an update with a number in
literature......these will of course have a reference number in brackets after
the weight e.g. Gold Basin. If there is no reliable weight in the literature I
put in a 9+ number. It will be the closest to but under what I feel is the
actual weight recovered. This should also drive home the point that it is only
an estimate.
In the case of Pultusk all I had available for weights to use was 999+kg or
99+kg. Since the COM value of 200 kg is greater than 99+ and 999+ was way over I
chose to use theirs instead.
Since Marcin is very knowledgeable about recent recoveries from the strewnfield
I would believe his number of 250kg vs COM of 200kg
I also wanted to note the same is true for the number of recovered specimens
with respect to the numbers used.
Mike

--
Mike Jensen