[meteorite-list] georgetown

From: E.L. Jones <jonee_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun Jan 1 03:40:18 2006

Dear Steve,

When you mention a meteorite , some usually comes to market shortly
afterwards. This would be one way to find a price. It if doe show up--
it is one beautiful unique iron, I wish I could afford. Bob Haag
brought it to science? I'd ask him if I knew him well .

If we are talking the same Georgetown Iron(1988) Austrailia --it isn't
silicated. In fact it is largely Triolite and very low in silicate
content. It is a unique-- a solitary ungrouped member of the IABs.
According to the revised literature, they suspect it came from a
carbonaceous chondrite percursor melted in an impact event. Here is
what I found at David Weir's magnificent site
<http://www.meteoritestudies.com/protected_GEORGE.HTM>

 Gosh Darn Neat

Elton
Tie down your camel carefully. Because if you leave your camel loose, he
will poke his nose under your tent. Once his nose is under the tent, the
rest of the camel is sure to follow.--Old Bedouin proverb

Steve Arnold, Chicago!! wrote:

>Hi and good evening list.I was wondering how much per gram is the
>GEORGETOWN,aulstralia silicated iron.I just want to know for future
>reference.I do not have access to meteorites and thier price per gram.
>
> sra
>
>Steve R.Arnold, Chicago, IL, 60120

( aulstralia? People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw "volts
-wagons") jk