[meteorite-list] Re: Monthly Favourite N'Goureyma /Dronino

From: Jeff Kuyken <info_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun Jan 1 05:32:30 2006

Fascinating. I really enjoy the different thoughts and points of view from
list members.

Bob raised the point that there appears to be a similarity to Dronino. I had
not actually thought of that myself but can see the relation. However, the
Dronino pieces I have (and seen) generally appear to be on a slightly larger
scale. (i.e. inclusions) For anyone interested the N'Goureyma piece measures
about 40mm x 18mm at widest points. The tiny scale of the inclusions is one
of the things that interested me the most.

Bob also wrote:

"The horseshoe-shaped troilite inclusions and their spacing from one another
are nearly identical."

Buchwald also talks about the orientation of the troilite inclusions:

"Already on the surface it may be readily seen that the tiny troilite bodies
must be thread-shaped and uniformly oriented through the whole mass,
parallel to its long direction."

"The omnipresent troilite inclusions of the grain interior are, in sections,
perpendicular to the long dimension of the meteorite, circular or
crescent-shaped. On sections parallel to the long direction of the meteorite
a major part of the troilite inclusions have the form of commas and
droplets, always tapering against the same thin end of the mass. This
"fluidal" structure is rare in iron meteorites but may be related to the
uniformly oriented but larger troilite "belemnites" of Cape York, Chihuahua
City, Santa Luzia, Santa Rosa and Bendego."

You may also notice the inclusions within the troilite inclusions. I'm
unsure if this is Fe/Ni. Buchwald does also mention:

"The troilite contains numerous, euhedral chromite crystals that range from
10 ? to 1 mm in size and are somewhat brecciated."

Maybe Bernd or David has some thoughts on this?

Cheers,

Jeff