[meteorite-list] Cleaning Scale off Stonys

From: Pete Pete <rsvp321_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon Jan 2 17:45:38 2006

Hello, List,

...so quiet in here...everyone still hung-over, eh?

A while ago I posted a request for any suggestions to make getting scale off
of stone meteorites any easier, without a response.

I tried a few things myself and I'll pass on the results for anyone who is
interested:

De-scalers like CLR or Limeaway are messy, smelly and potentially dangerous,
even in a diluted form down to 25% with distilled water - and it changed the
appearance of the surface somewhat.

A furnace humidifier "scale-be-gone" solution was the same disappointment.

Hydrogen Peroxide, however, was a definite help, and at the household 3%,
it's relatively safe.

I submerged the intended stone in the peroxide for about an hour, and while
keeping it wet I started cleaning.
It is still a meticulous task - I still needed to use the dental picks, but
the scale comes off a lot easier and in bigger chips, and doesn't appear to
harm the meteorite.

I soak the stones in alcohol when I'm done to displace the water.

I'll try 10% later, and if there's an marked advange I'll post the
results...unless someone else tries it first...

I suggest you wear disposable gloves, though, as the stuff will bleach your
fingertips.

Any input or further suggestions would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Pete