[meteorite-list] New Year Quiz - the solution

From: Christian Anger <christian.anger_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat Jan 7 12:30:20 2006

Hi all,

it is picritic olivine-basalt found in Margi, Troodos on the isle Zyprus.

pictures number 01 and 03 show the rough side, pictures 02 and 04 show cut and polished face.

Yes, it may be a good Pallasitewrong, looking like the Al Mahbas Pallasite.

the nearest guess:

Fukang - Andi Gren

oh... no... THAT was the funniest guess (I laughed a lot because Andi only
wrote this one word in his reply).

So here the nearest guesses:

porphyric (alkali)olivinebasalt or a olivinecumulate - Ingo Herkstroeter

peridotite. I cant see from the picture if it's lherzolite or harzburgite (olivine with clino or
orthopyroxene) but it realy looks like an olivine bomb - Andrei Razvan

looks similuar to some of my olivine basalts, periodotite _ Dave Freeman

volcanic olivine bomb - Ken Regelman

material its similar to the vulcanic bombs - Matteo Chinellato

Xenoliths imbedded in an igneous rock (perodite) - Adam Hupe

Thanks for taking part on the quiz.

This was just for fun and I hope nobody feels annoyed.
I thought it was time for a little break in the Pallasite discussion.

Cheers,

Christian

I.M.C.A. #2673 at www.imca.cc
website: www.austromet.com