[meteorite-list] Ad Exogenic Fulgurites now posted and going fast

From: Norm Lehrman <nlehrman_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon Jan 9 12:51:33 2006

List,

I went ahead and bought the Exogenic Fulgurites I
wrote about a couple of weeks ago and they are now
posted on the TektiteSource website. You'll need to
move fast if you are interested. I gave those who
asked to be placed on a waiting list first chance, and
about half of the specimens are gone.

For any who missed the previous discussion, Exogenic
Fulgurites are glass that literally sprayed out of a
world class soil fulgurite with branches up to 3
meters long. The glass spray formed droplets,
threads, and spatters that accumulated around the soil
fulgurite crater. Some glass threads were found
draped over the local sagebrush.

This material is significant to meteorite enthusiasts
in that it very strongly resembles Wabar glass and
Irghizites. If this glass was found in the geologic
record, it could easily be confused with impactite.
This is the first published occurrence of
lightning-related vitreous ejecta, a whole new way to
generate glass spatters. My material is from the
published type locality.