[meteorite-list] Ad: SOLID iron Hoba for sale - non-shale! 11.61gm

From: Martin Altmann <altmann_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue Jan 10 18:11:38 2006

Hola friends of the night!

Martin is back in the New Year with a nice little hammer as starter.

In fact not alone, it's a sale together with last year's best newcomer among
the sellers:
Andi Gren alias Hulk Starrockers with his faible for rare, historical and
exceedingly difficult to obtain irons.

We have for sale:

Hoba
Grootfontain, Namibia
Ni-rich ataxite IVB
Tkw: 60t

I think I can spare my words, to tell details about this meteorite.
It's the largest single individual meteoritical mass in existance, quoted in
each and every meteorite book.
Exactely this huge chunk, sitting on the pictures in his walled enclosure,
pointing with the finger on you and grinning: You`ll never will get a piece
of my heart, I`m a protected monument, har, forget it!

It`s not, that Hoba wouldn't be available at all - with some patience from
time to time very few dealers offer that locality - but all specimens are
totally oxidized shale, collected once in the sourroundings of the huge
solitaire. Rob Elliott has at present nice shale specimens, I remember a
larger block from Christian Anger too (do you still have it?) and Dave
Fronefield should have left a single small shale Macro,
but all is totally oxidized
and to find a real solid and massive Hoba, all experts will agree, is really
a challenge.

I know, that many of you keep their pockets closed now and save each penny
for the upcoming Tucson show,
but I really wouldn't be that confident, whether you'll be able to find a
solid Hoba there.
Please dealers, if you plan to bring Hoba there, raise you're finger here!

What do we have:

A convenient sized thinner partslice: (I know, some of you prefer
fullslices, but...)

3.5cm x 2.8cm x 0.2cm (1.38" x 1.10")
weight is 11.61 grams.

Pictures will be emailed on request.

It has two natural shaped edges and is etched - one side shows very well
partially one of that schlierenbandlike darkenings, which forms in larger
slices those striking, almost tessellate pattern.

I know, that many of you are seighing now, cause we didn't cut micros out of
this slice (with which we certainly could earn quite more bucks), but please
understand, that we have scruples to fabricate shashlik out of such a
representative sample of this extremely difficult to find iron.

The price.
As several on this list aren't directly friends of ebay and because it
worked well in past,
we will sell it in a kind of auction here.

Hoba-shale sells usually at 10-25$/g at the dealers AND (Darren!) on ebay.

Our startprice is 50$ per gram.

Highest bid takes it. All bidders will stay updated about the highest bid.
We collect offers until 48 hours from now on (ca 23 GMT is it now), that
procedure is more civilized than this last-second-sniping-hysteria on ebay.

All standards (fully satisfaction, else money back, fast ship ect) as you
are used from us.
We do have paypal too.

And here we go!
Martin Buckleboo and Andi Gren