[meteorite-list] Nitrogen for safe storage ?

From: MarkF <mafer_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat Jan 14 14:24:45 2006

Hi Lars and List

Getting dry nitrogen isn't hard by any means. But any inert and dry gas will
work, such as helium, argon, ect.
But the question is, is the meteorite dry to begin with?
If you put a "wet" item into a dry atmosphere, you will introduce moisture
into that atmosphere. So, it has to be dry first, and you will still be
stuck with the dry corrosion, it will have only really been stagnated.
I believe it would be better to use the sodium hydroxide treatment, which
some of the other list members can outline much better than I, having
extensive background using this. Then, follow that up with a corrosion
treatment like one of the inhibitors.

Mark Ferguson