[meteorite-list] Slashes and hyphens (and round brackets)

From: meteoriteplaya_at_comcast.net <meteoriteplaya_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue Jan 17 13:24:51 2006

Hi Bernd & Jeff

It took me quite a long time to figure out & remember the difference between the two different designations. Here is how I finally figured it out. I just "see" the dash as a comma H3-4 or H3,H4 and the slash as arrow H3/4 or H3<-->H4. If all else fails I just think of Zag as it obviously has two different clasts. One is dark and one is light. Here is a nice image of Zag from Tim Heitz's web site that illustrates this point. http://www.meteorman.org/Zag.htm One is type 3 and the other is type 6....thought I can't remember which is which. So now quiz yourself and see if you understand what the correct classification of the Zag H breccia should be. Is it H3-6 or H3/6
Here is the answer from the MB website http://littlink.com/7qcgn

This brings up another question. Is it possible to have a transitional meteorite across more than two grades? According to my understanding of temperatures required to produce the various petrologic grades it would be impossible. The reason I ask this is because we do occasionally see meteorites with this classification eg Shisr 010 L4/6 http://littlink.com/zj7p0

Mike

--
Mike Jensen
Jensen Meteorites