[meteorite-list] Campo Preservation

From: Adam Hupe <raremeteorites_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue Jan 17 22:18:06 2006

Hi Gary and List,

I only dry polish a second time when I run into secondary oxidation during
preparation. I stay away from problem stones that show rust and can't be
stabilized. I will not collect any rusters other than New Orleans and
Peekskill. I live in a damp state meaning I have to be careful what I
collect. I once had complete slices of both the Brenham and Brahim
pallasites. I was shocked to see both rust away within two years when I
inventoried my safe which was equipped with VCI emitters meaning the
moisture was trapped inside the specimens. The Brahim was actually flexible,
the only thing holding it together was the lacquer coating. The Brenham
crumbled into a pile of rust and crystals. I was so completely disgusted
since I paid top dollar for both at the time that they went right into the
trash. Out of site, Out of mind is how I justified their disposal.

Take Care,

Adam