[meteorite-list] Dronino Preservation

From: Marcin Cimala <marcin_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed Jan 18 14:45:30 2006

> Just watching the slow disintegration of my little 63g Dronino
> individual..........
> Not the prettiest way of loseing weight.........
>
> Any chance of preserving it from total crumbleation?

Try to remove any!! rust, dirt, soil from the surface that can collect
humidity from air. Then maybe try to put it to water + NaOH to neutralise
any acids inside. I use this sometimes on slices when I finish etchin, but I
dont have any iron in dramatic condition to verify if this can help or not.
For me oil + silica gel is enough to keep any iron alive. Then clean in
water and next in alcohol to remove water, heat and use Balistol or any
other good quality oil, heat again.

I think water in this case not make any damages if meteorite is just heavy
ruster. If anyone have idea what can be use to dissolve NaOH instead of
water this can help, becouse alcohol is not a good alternative.

http://www.Meteoryt.net marcin_at_meteoryt.net
http://www.PolandMET.com marcin_at_polandmet.com
http://www.Gao-Guenie.com GSM +48(607)535 195