[meteorite-list] Dronino Preservation

From: jbaxter112_at_pol.net <jbaxter112_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed Jan 18 17:31:45 2006

Hello Berndt, Stefan, et al.,

I was nervous about Dronino but it is a beautiful meteorite so I bought
one of Marcin's slices which has been quite stable for over 6 months now.
I do keep all my specimens at less than 10% relative humidity which really
helps.

Even at very low humidity my Brahin slice became dust and yet rumor has it
that some Brahin specimens are stable. I suspect that the terrestrial
exposure history of a particular specimen plays a significant role in the
variability of rusting; perhaps fracturing allowing moisture into the
interior is another important variable. Preparation technique is
presumably important as well. Too bad there is not a way to test for this
tendency; in its absence I guess the best test is that a reliable observer
has observed a particular individual or slices from a particular
individual over time without visible degradation.

Regards,
Jim Baxter