[meteorite-list] Term Main Mass

From: dean bessey <deanbessey_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri Jan 20 01:08:29 2006

Well adam, Tell us what you think should be done.
The current way of doing things was put together by
the meteoritical society after a lot of investigation
- which included asking for input from the dealer
community. I know for a fact that Jeff Grossman put a
lot of effort into gathering as much info as possible
and came up with a best case scenario. He asked any
dealer involved at the time (Around 2000 when teh
flood from morocco started but no names) to give input
and suggestions. In fact it was a very fine example of
getting everybody involved and making a best desision
on what to do with NWA given the circumstances.
Nobody has disagreed or came up with a better solution
so maybe now you could outline for us all your better
solution. (But dont try and come up with a term that
makes some meetorites better than others on the basis
of size).
You have been complaining in the past that people used
your numbers when selling meteorites because their
stone was not the same as yours.
But now you have now made a 180 degree turn and am
argueing that they are in fact the same stones and
should not be differentiated as everybody knows they
are paired and so one of them cant have a main mass
since (like imilac and sikhote alin) they are the same
stone.
Nobody (I shoudlent say nobody, but most anyway) are
not claiming that their NWAs have no pairings. Most
people dont dispute that. But it has been generally
acepted (on this list anyway - especially by you in
the past) that each number is specific, holy and that
other people shouldent hijact those numbers when
selling their meteorites if it never came from the
exact sample(s) that was reported to the met society.
I generally agree with that stance. Well, I dont
disagree anyway.
If I (Or you, john, farmer or anybody else) sells a
customer the biggest piece of NWA xxb then they have
the largest piece of NWA xxb. Largest piece = Main
mass. xxc might be bigger and obviously from the same
fall. However, nobody can claim that the customer
doesnt have the largest piece of NWAxxb
You cant have it both ways. They are either the same
or they are different. And while they may not be
chemically different, they are different as far as
name and registration goes.
Sincerely
DEAN