[meteorite-list] Term Main Mass

From: dean bessey <deanbessey_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri Jan 20 04:36:22 2006

>Dr. Irving and Dr. Bunch both make pairing statements
and are >concerned about them.
I was not aware that these two scientists had problems
with the way the met society ran their naming system
or how meteorite scientists world wide were reporting
their classifications and meteorite details to the met
society. Please arrange for Ted Bunch and Dr Irving to
explain their misgivings with how the worlds
scientists are reporting meteorites to the met society
to all of us rather than just you in private. That way
maybe we can take into account what they have to say
and possibly change the way the met society operates.
I for one would be interested in hearing what they
have to say.
>The only reason main mass is put at the end of the
>classifications is that it was carried over from an
old Nom Com >format before NWA nomenclature even
existed. Have you even looked >at their submission
format?
I didnt realize that it is simply an overlooked book
keeping error that main mass of NWAs and DAGs is
reported in the met bulletin whenever possible and
that the met society actually dont approve of the info
being made publicly available. Why hasnt jeff Grossman
been informed of this so that he can rectify the
situation?
>I do not think a scientist in the world would agree
that the >example you gave earlier represents a true
"Main Mass". The
>coordinates are well known for NWA 1068/1110 and your
pairings to >them.
So why would it be inappropraite and fraudlent to sell
NWA1110 as NWA1068 when they are one and the same? Or
am I not correct in my belief that it is not Ok to
just sell a paired meteoirte using somebody elses
number? They both have the same main mass so they are
one and the same. Whatever number you use to sell
something seems arbitrary in this situation.
>There will be a meeting in Tucson with a well-known
>committee person before the Peoples Auction to
discuss subjects >just like this so I am gathering a
consensus.
Really. I was not aware of this. Can you please give
us more details so that people who want to attend can
show up and properly prepare for the topics being
discussed as it is getting pretty late to prepare for
such an important meeting now with Tucson so near?
Usually the met society puts effort into ensuring that
everybody has an opportunity to get their ideas herd
so this is uncharacteristic of them. Please arrange
for the met society to make a official posting on the
topics being discussed and who the chairperson and
speakers will be.
I assume that you have made arrangements with Michael
Blood to provide time for the event so can we tell
everybody the details?
Given the importance of such an event I assume that
preparations with Michael blood and the met society
has already been made and given the short tiem to the
event I would expect the meeting details should be
made public soon for all to prepare? Thanks for
organizing such an important even with the met society
and michael blood in Tucson where it is easy for
anybody interested to attend. You do a wonderful
service to the meteorite community I am sure.
Sincerely
DEAN