[meteorite-list] Re: Dronino & Steve Schoner's meteorite anti-rust treatment.

From: Mike Fowler <mqfowler_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon Jan 23 11:17:35 2006

(Don't know if this made it thru the other day)

Hi List,

Went to my local hardware store to buy Red Devil Lye, but couldn't
find any so I bought some (where else!) on ebay. I will be trying it
out on some smaller irons that show some rust, including at least one
Dronino.

I was curious about Steve Schoner's 150 lb Campo mentioned in the
post from November, 2003. Was the treatment successful, and what are
the details? How long etc?

I have one 13 lb Campo that could use a little help after I practice
an a couple 100 gram slices first.

Mike Fowler
Chicago

Bob King's post regarding Dronino:

> Hello Bernd, Marcin and all,
>
> I, too have had problems with Dronino until I used Steve Schoner's
> NaOH method. I left my slice in solution in a jar for two weeks.
> Every so
> often I'd pick up the jar and swirl the contents around to keep the
> chemicals mixed and monitor the process . The solution gradually
> became as dark as maple syrup as rust was dissolved. Then I removed
> the slice, washed it in distilled water (the lye makes the pieces very
> slippery.) and baked it in the oven for an hour at around 200 degrees.
> I still keep my Dronino with dessicant but I have not seen a speck of
> rust since this treatment.
> Marcin, you asked about dissolving the lye. I fill the jar halfway
> with
> regular isopropyl alcohol (off-the-shelf drugstore variety) which
> contains
> water. Then I add about 5 tablespoons of lye (Red Devil brand here in
> the U.S.) and stir and stir. It takes a while for the lye to
> dissolve in the
> alcohol. While this is happening you get an interesting exothermic
> chemical reaction and the jar warms up.
> Anyway, this is the only thing that's worked for really stubborn
> irons.
> Best to all,
> Bob

Post from Steve Schoner, November 2003