[meteorite-list] GA. Fireball spotted on 1/19/06 _at_ 10:55 pm.

From: Chris Peterson <clp_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue Jan 24 17:26:47 2006

Hi Mark-

It isn't all that strange. My cameras pick up quite a few big fireballs that
nobody ends up reporting (and here in Colorado, all the TV stations and
newspapers refer reports to me). Just a couple of weeks ago we had a very
large fireball right over Denver at 6:30 in the evening, and I only got two
reports.

The sad fact is, very few people ever look up.

The fireball you saw (while no doubt very impressive) sounds like a fairly
typical one. If you saw it come near the ground, it means if was far away-
probably at least 100 miles. There may have been more witnesses closer to
the event, assuming it wasn't over the ocean.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com