[meteorite-list] RFS Picture of the Day - January 27, 2006

From: bernd.pauli_at_paulinet.de <bernd.pauli_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri Jan 27 12:58:29 2006

Matt wrote:

"Good photo. But no offense to you Bernd, I have always felt thin section photos
 (of any rock) were meaniningless unless there was a description of the section"

Hello Matt and List,

Well, I got this NWA 2999 angrite thin section only recently so I haven't had enough time yet
to study it thoroughly but here is what I have already seen and written to David Weir about it:

1. the vivid bluish pink crystals are zoned, calcic olivines;
2. the dazzling white crystals are anorthites;
3. the light and medium brown, yellowish brown crystals are fassaitic pyroxenes;
4. the upper half of the TS is dominated by vivid blue diopside crystals;
5. Numerous isotropic spinel crystals appear black with crossed polars.

Best regards,

Bernd