[meteorite-list] Newest Lunar meteorite at the Tucson Gem show and weathe...

From: MexicoDoug_at_aol.com <MexicoDoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat Jan 28 11:08:52 2006

Bernd kindly mulled over Jeff's clarification for the Wlotzka weathering
scale:
>If meteoriticists ever decided to define a weathering scale specifically
>for lunar (or Martian) meteorites....scale probably have to be based on?

Hola, would terrestrial carbonate formation be a good metric? depth and
magnitude of the gradient of terrestrial carbonates from exposed surface to the
interior? One problem I could see in standardizing this would be that
different environments on earth will yield different types of weathering, so the
scale might not generalize too easily. Even the Wlotzska scale only measures
the parameters Jeff mentioned, so possibly a chondrite would be comparatively
fresher if one changed the parameters to other ones of interest to
researchers.

Saludos, Doug

bernd.pauli_at_paulinet.de writes:
Jeff kindly wrote:

"There is no weathering scale defined for lunar meteorites, so you cannot
call it W0-1.
By using these numbers you are saying that metal and troilite are not
weathered."

Hello Jeff, Mike, and List,

If meteoriticists ever decided to define a weathering scale specifically
for lunar (or Martian) meteorites, what or which parameters would such a
scale probably have to be based on?

Cheers,

Bernd