[meteorite-list] 2006 Meteorite Festival....+ Free Event Cancel Contest

From: MARK BOSTICK <thebigcollector_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun Jul 9 01:29:50 2006

Hello All,

Hope everyone is doing well. Today was the Meteorite Festival at Haviland,
Kansas. I am happy to report it was a complete success....well, we didn't
recover any new meteorites (although we did make it home with another
Brenham if that counts and did see a dozen meteor wrongs), but in all other
aspects I think the festival did very well. We made a few connections and
made it home with our wallets mostly intact

It is the hope of the mayor, Jack Christianson, and the Kansas Meteorite
Society, that the festival becomes an annual event.

Among the meteorite things of interest was a Meteorite Medallion Hunt,
Meteorte Exhibits by local Dr. Don Stimpson, Mark Bostick (Kansas Meteorite
Society....that's me), Steve Arnold and the 1430 lb. pallasite display,
speakers Dr. Denten Edel (American Museum of Natural History) and Dr. Dave
Alexander (Wichita State University), Meteorite Medallions (by the Haviland
Heritage Foundation), a "Cancellation Stamp, Meteorite Festival" by the
USPS, Meteorite Fest Pencils, Meteorite Fest T-shirts and Meteorite Fest
Beanbags.

As many of you know I have a coin and stamp interest
(www.coinandstampman.com), helped produce the first legal tender meteorite
coin and led short lived drive for a Meteor Crater stamp...so with that in
mind. I will report to the list on two related items.

The Meteorite Medallions might be of interest to some of you. The
Medallions, were prizes given away to winners of a Medallion Hunt and the
Disc Golf contest. They were also sold from a booth by the Haviland Hertiage
Foundation. Medallions were made in a bronze-like metal, and then a silver
pewter version. It was not clear the medallions were for sale, or at least
to me, and the town has a population of only about 500. However many were
produced of each I do not know, but I think it is fair to say that not many
were made. Interesting, the medallions are from different dies and are
different thickness. They were somewhat pricey...$15 for the pewter and
$10.00 for the bronze-like metal.

http://www.coinandstampman.com/ebayauctionphotos/Festival_Coins.jpg

The Meteorite Festival event cancel (as the stamp community would call such)
or the "Cancellation Stamp, Meteorite Festival" (as the USPS called it) was
interesting. The cancel shows a map of Kansas and notes the place of
Haviland with "Haviland Crater." On the top of the map, in a six line
notation is "Haviland, Kansas; Haviland Station; 67039; Meteorite Fest and
July 8, 2006." In two lines across the bottom is "The Rock Stops Here!" and
"Brenham Meteorite."

I had a few pamplets franked with Purple Heart or Reagan stamps (no good
space-related 39 cent stamp yet, so I used recent releases). One of the
pamplets is viewable here.......

http://www.coinandstampman.com/ebayauctionphotos/Festival_Program.jpg

Since I have not done a meteorite contest in a while. Now is as good as
time as any. The following photograph shows me and a meteorite person
sporting a Kansas Meteorite Society ballcap.

The first person that e-mails me (or the list) and can tell me who this
person is, gets a free Festival Pamplet with the event cancel as shown.

http://www.coinandstampman.com/ebayauctionphotos/DSCN2795a.jpg

Hint: Living about 1420 miles away from Wichita, this person is not a Kansas
Meteorite Society member.

Clear Skies,
Mark Bostick
Wichita, Kansas