[meteorite-list] Beware of meteorite hunters

From: stan . <laser_maniac_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon Jul 10 04:59:27 2006

>I legal terms, a meteorite is a rock in the most general sense.

Adam,
Export documents typically require SPECIFIC itimization, not
generalizations. Try to export a bunch of plutonium described as 'lump of
metal' and see how far it gets you. diamonds, fossils, and some antiquities
could too be described as 'rocks' but I'm sure you would agree that it isnt
an intellectually honest description for such items.

Even if you think generalization isnt an issue, IF the translation this guy
provided is true then listing the 'rocks' as having no value is pretty hard
to defend when just 0.13% of that 150kg has a 'special 20% off sale price'
of $178358.00

Now you might be thinking that this is an attempt by me to goad you into a
fight given our online history on the list. Quite the contrary. I'd like to
see you adresse this AlKathiri's point directly instead of just questioning
his intentions.

does it matter if one has export documentation for 'rocks' of this era taken
out of oman? were there any laws on the books at the time these meteorites
were taken out of oman that would prohibit such exportation?

As far as I know the answer to both these questions is a most resounding NO.
from what i have been able to dig up foriegn commerical activity in oman
requires a permit, but lack of one doesnt mean meteorites without an export
permit were removed illegaly.

I personally feel that guys who are trying to 'protect' meteroites from
commerical intrests are doing the greatest disservice to both collectors AND
science that can possibly be done. Look at all of the meteorites that
science has gotten to examine as a direct result of the commerical side of
meteorites. Not only do meteorite hunters/dealers go out and find this
material type specimins are provided at no cost to the researchers and in
some cases labs actually charge a small fee to look at the material meaning
they get cash revenue AND free samples to study. what possibly could be a
better deal than that? As Martin Altman is fond to point out - look at the
huge expense of the antartic meteorite recovery effort, and compare that to
all of the free material that science has had from commerical sources. seems
like a no brainer to me.

given the fact that it seems inarguable that the current status quo works, I
say it's the duty of everyone involved in this hobby to correct any public
misconceptions before politicians start pushing for campos to be
repatirated.