AW: [meteorite-list] Beware of meteorite hunters

From: Martin Altmann <altmann_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon Jul 10 06:09:14 2006

Again that discussion,
and again I feel compelled to excrete my 2 cents, as I know those finders
from that team.

First there is no room for any suspicion, nor does it lead to any intuition
to point with the finger to others, no matter from which direction.

The team, which recovered the stones, acted in proper style and in an
exemplary way. They did, where about no other team was caring, they went
with their finds to the authorities and physically submitted the stones
there and asked, whether they would be allowed to export them.
To presume, that they were telling misleading information to the officials
is absurd, there can't be any straighter information than to show the stones
to the officials, who have to decide, whether they are o.k. for export or
not.
As you saw, they issued that document with header and stamp, which states
that the team member mentioned in brackets is allowed to take with him 150kg
of those rocks and that document served to the purpose, if the members would
have been asked, when they left Oman, whether they have a permit to take the
stuff with them. I guess, another definition of "export permit" does not
exist. In the case of the most interesting stones, the colourful
IMB-lunaites is to say, that at that point in Oman, it was absolutely not
evident, that they were lunaites at all. Even later the institute, which
should classify them, refused initially to analyze them, because they
thought, that they are terrestrial rocks.
But anyway, the Omani officials could have refused at any moment to issue
the permit and they had the stones in their hands to do so.
To calm Mr.Ali, the Hupes certainly have a translation of the paper,
and not only the name of the exporter, but also the lines in Arabic letters
are written by hand. Obviously this was at those times the usual way to
issue such export permits.
It might be, that Mr.Ali isn't content with that procedure, but then he
should have scold the Ministry of Commerce and Industry that they allowed
the export of the stones and not the sellers of that material and certainly
not the finders, who took the efforts to legally export those stones, who
did so at those times, where no team else, only the Suisse one, cared for
any possible restrictions.
At the ministry nobody took any agreement as a condition for the official
export, nor did they issue other papers or a paper in a different form.
Maybe nowadays there are different regulations in force, then in the
beginning of 2003 obviously not (perhaps here the confusion originates, that
the quoted mining law of 2003 wasn't in force yet?).
So I think we can all calm, and that Mr.Ali wasn't aware, that not only to
the Suisse teams export permits were issued, but to others too, is very
understandable, because as far as I know, nobody else than those German
teams ever asked for a permit.
Btw it was not a single case, they obtained on 2 tours more such permits,
but unfortunately, because they did saw any importance in those sheets,
after they were home - and those were the times, where there weren't
discussions about the legal status of the Oman finds raging -
they threw them in the dustbin.
At least that one survived.

Thus we learned, that it is always helful first to check the facts, than to
have superfluous discussions, to dwell on speculations or, how it
unfortunately happens sometimes, to end in personal attacks.

Peace on Earth,
Martin

-----Urspr?ngliche Nachricht-----