[meteorite-list] AD: METEORITE CLASSIFICATION SERVICE

From: dean bessey <deanbessey_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed Jul 12 05:11:37 2006

Well, as far as quality of different services go I
dont think there is much difference. The meteoritical
society has an extremily high standard before they
will accept a classification and everybody submitting
classifications needs certain expertise and equipment.

The real problem is in speed - or indeed even the
ability to get something classified.
Most institutions are so backed up with
classifications that if you get a turnaround time in
months you are lucky. Years is more likely before you
get a result. However, most institutions are not
ineterested in chondrites anymore just because of the
workload.
Ted Bunch had a decent pay classification service but
got so backed up that he is no longer accepting new
customers.
I am hoping that this new service will help clear up
some of the backlog and make it feisable for somebody
to get their meteorites classified in a timely manner.
Sincerely
DEAN