[meteorite-list] Meteorite doubts emerge (the Norway "meteorite)

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed Jul 12 15:53:04 2006

Hi,

    I believe the quick and enthusiastic response
to this "incident" was potentiated by the earlier
Norwegian bolide last month. Word of it didn't
even get reported for several days but interest
built up after a week. It was unexpected and so
it took people awhile to "wake up" to the event.
    This kind of report -- the odd rock and the
strange hole in the garden kind of report -- tends
to come, singly or in a small flurry, after a real
event. The seed of the notion is already in place.
Humans "see" what they are prepared to "see."
Likewise, they often don't "see" what they
don't expect to "see." The senses+brain system
is not a simple "camera-like" mechanism.
    By now, Norwegians were "prepared" to
think METEORITE.
    Meanwhile, we hear nothing more about the
very real earlier object or the location of its
terminal point, witnesses, etc. Its energy has
been determined to have been about 380
kiloTons of TNT, but beyond that, nothing,
which is the usual outcome of a big fireball.

Sterling K. Webb