[meteorite-list] Adventura del Monte Meteorite (meteorwrong?)

From: MARK BOSTICK <thebigcollector_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed Jul 12 18:50:37 2006

Hello Steve,

You noted "You did not state your reasons clearly regarding your
observations of this specimen."

I am not sure if you read what I wrote. I think I gave a very detailed
report on my observations. I said why I thought it was a meteorite and why
I thought it was not. The buyer and several prospected buyers complimented
me on the report. Now, I did avoid sharing private information such as names
and the like, to share such would have been against ebay rules.

For a reference:
http://six.pairlist.net/pipermail/meteorite-list/2006-April/183247.html

I also answered a dozen or so e-mails to the list....including several from
you, and offered to give my phone number to anyone that wanted to discuss
it. Several took me up on that offer, perhaps you should have.

"It sure looks like a meteorite to me, and in fact it looks like Sikhote
Alin. That was my observation of it based on the photos that the seller
provided."

Pehaps your memory is blurred. Your observation was based on the photographs
that I provided. In person, I thought it looks more like a sculpted Gibeon,
although my images did make it look like a Sikhote.

I did have a couple problems with it, mainly it streaked like a pencil.
Doesn't your website warn against stones that streak? Most do.

"As for cutting this specimen to make a determination, that is no big deal."

As I noted multiple times, I tried to convince the seller to let me cut a
sample off and try to etch it. I have access to saws from 6-24 inches, and
a custom made etching station so that would not have been a problem. I even
told the buyer and possible buyers I could cut and etch a sample if they
wished, as many did call me on the stone. The buyer did not wish to stay in
town for me to cut it.

I am not sure were you get off attacking me with this Steve over and over
again as if I did something wrong. I put a lot of time into the stone, it
took a 25-30 e-mails to before I got to see the stone, and freely shared my
thoughts with the list with no compensation. I let the buyer stay at my
house, and told prospected buyers they could. I have given premission to
the buyer to use my photographs. I am not sure what more I could have done
in this case.

In the future I will simply avoid sharing like information with the list.

I have now changed my mind and I will NOT further report on the specimen to
the list, future requests on this list will receive a copy and paste of my
last response. The buyer is a list member, if he wishes to share
information he will.

Clear Skies,
Mark Bostick
www.meteoritearticles.com