[meteorite-list] Meteorite doubts emerge (the Norway "meteorite)

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Jul 13 01:22:02 2006

Hi,

    You're right, of course. That "kilo" just slipped in
there unconciously.

    Back on June 17, Darren Garrison posted this:
http://www.yubanet.com/artman/publish/article_37571.shtml
> 300 tons of TNT. That's the kinetic energy of the meteoritic fireball
> sighted
> June 7th in Norway, according to Prof. Peter Brown of the University of
> Western
> Ontario. Brown's doctoral student, Wayne Edwards, arrived at this figure
> by
> analyzing infrasound and seismic data. Early reports of a Hiroshima-like
> event
> (12,000+ tons of TNT) were exaggerated.

    That's still a lot of TNT! There is a famous film clip
purportedly of the first "A-Bomb," released by the US
government as such in the late forties, that can be found
multiply on various video sites and used in many TV
programs because it's so dramatic. But it's a fake.
    In 1946-7, we didn't want anybody to see what a
real A-Bomb looked like; who knows what clues it
might contain? So, they piled up about 500 tons of
bomb elements (lots of left-overs in 1946!) and 200
tons of excess napalm and incendiaries and set it off
for five motion picture camera units one night.
    The boom was heard for 40 miles, and the film is
very impressive, actually more impressively evil-looking
than a real A-Bomb. Since the fact that it was a fake
was not revealed for 25 years, there are still many
sources that use it as the BEST film of a nuclear device!
As usual, when a government chooses to deceive,
the last ones to be undeceived are that government's
own population
    So, a 300 Ton TNT detonation is trivial ONLY if
you're nowhere near it!

Sterling K. Webb