AW: AW: [meteorite-list] Adventura del Monte Meteorite (meteorwrong?)

From: Martin Altmann <altmann_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri Jul 14 05:25:50 2006

Bill,

It's rather the pointing out of an excellent opportunity for the collectors,
which to have missed, may cause regrets.
It isn't that easy anymore to find such large Sikhotes,
at fairs you will see only a few larger shrapnels, that's all.

Franco's two specimens are cheaply priced, Russian ebay-style from 2-3 years
ago. And they have the paperwork for export too.

The essential difference to an Ad is, that if the pieces will be sold, I
won't earn any pence with that sales
and as I personally have no need for those pieces,
I have no problems to share my competence with the perhaps not yet so
experienced collectors, to tell my opinion about the quality and the price
of these specimens, because if some of them perhaps are thinking about
having once a bigger Sikhote in their collection, but waver, whether to buy
now or rather in some years, it might happen, that they later won't find
such large chunks anymore or have to pay a remarkably higher price.

This list is about meteorites, but also about meteorite collecting.
To laud exceptional meteorite specimens, even if they are for sale,
or to recognize an outstanding commercial offer of a competitor,
should be bad style? I doubt...but if the other list members share your
opinion, I will better myself.

And if you take it for an Ad, at least the frequency rule isn't hurt.

There.
But I'm happy also about the feedback about my other posts, which contain
not such infamous commercial coercions...;-)

Martin, the enthusiast

Here a long sold example of a originally crusted Sikhote for your delight:
http://www.spacerocksinc.com/Dec1.html

Fusion crust on irons illustrated with pics, could be a good and necessary
thread on da list.