[meteorite-list] AD: METEORITE CLASSIFICATION SERVICE

From: Jason Utas <meteoritekid_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri Jul 14 10:36:26 2006

Hello Stan, All,

Well no one has to donate anything to get the classification service once
the program is up and running...why would you assume that?

I'd suggest that if you care at all about such a small and exhaustible
resource being expended without regard for future science, that it would be
a good idea to support such a noble cause. You'd be donating not just to
the University of Arizona, but to future generations of scientists trying to
discern (from meteorites) how the solar system formed, and what exactly was
happening up there a few billion years ago. The samples would be available
for the future experiments that anyone might conceive - rather than sitting
lost in some dusty drawer...or in a membrane box, decaying away on someone's
desk.

It's fine by me if you don't care anymore about the reason you probably
started collecting - the science, lure of the mysterious, and awe inspiring
raw information contained inside each little chip of extraterrestrial
matter, but if, by any chance, that spark is still alive inside you, I'd
consider giving at least something to this new program, because if
successful, it will undoubtedly become the greatest repository of meteorites
in the world, and it would be available to science to boot.
It's nice to look beyond one's own wallet, not that this would effect that
in the least anyways...

My .02,
Jason