[meteorite-list] 1.3 Meteorite Book Reports Sawyer and Cassidy

From: Pat Brown <radio_ranch_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat Jul 15 02:41:06 2006

Hi to all my fellow Meteorite Listers,

I have just finished reading _The Rock From Mars_ by
K. Sawyer (ISBN 1-4000-6010-9). This book follows the
path of ALH84001 from the field, to the research labs,
to the news media. This is a well written book that is
a bit light on technical detail. It is certainly worth
a read, but spends a bit too much text on the
political and personal sides of the story for my
tastes.

The next book on the pile is _Meteorites, Ice and
Antartica_ by W. Cassidy (ISBN 0 521 25872 3). This is
a much more scholarly book written by the Principal
Investigator of the ANSMET probram from 1976 to 2000.
I am roughly 1/3 of the way through this book. This
one is much more about the technical details. This
author has a great sense of humor that shows through
in his description of the field work. Even at this
stage I can heartily recommend this book.

Upon completion, I will post a more complete review
when I finish Cassidy.

With Best Regards,
               Pat Brown

...it's a scientific lifestyle...