[meteorite-list] Family Finds Another Meteorite in Norway

From: Ron Baalke <baalke_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue Jul 18 12:51:39 2006

http://www.aftenposten.no/english/local/article1391556.ece

Family finds another meteorite
Rolf Larsen
Aftenpoften (Norway)
July 18, 2006

The Johansen family of Moss had a surprise waiting when they returned
home from vacation.

Astronomers in Norway are calling the discovery of meteorites around
southeast Norway "incredible," and urge local residents to keep looking
for more.

Frode Johansen of Moss had read about the meteor explosion and how some
meteorite particles had rained down on a holiday cabin near Rygge. Then
he went outside to mow the lawn.

"Two branches on our plum tree were broken," he said. "I lifted them up
and there lay this stone." It had made a hole measuring about seven
centimeters in his lawn.

"I'd never seen such a stone, but noticed immediately that it looked
like the one in the picture from Rygge," Johansen said.

He said he didn't want to think about what might have happened if the
meteorite had fallen while the family's three children were playing in
the garden. The whole family, however, thinks it's been an exciting
discovery, made on the 10th birthday of daughter Eva Johanne.

"She's probably the most excited, and thinks it's very special to get a
greeting from outer space on her birthday," he said.

The family is donating the meteorite to the Museum of Natural History in
Oslo.