[meteorite-list] Norwegian meteorite classification guessing game

From: Adam Hupe <raremeteorites_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue Jul 18 14:25:05 2006

Hi Martin and All,

I don not think images are a good way to ascertain classifications but in
this case I took a S.W.A.G. at it in the interest of fun. I think the crust
is wrong for a CO3 because virtually every sample of a CO3 I have seen has
very fine contraction cracks, some do not even penetrate as deep as the
matrix. These cracks show up in detailed images. These cracks are absent in
the enhanced image provided by a List member taken from an article on the
new fall. The color of CO3 type crusts is usually semi-gloss black, never
flat black like the one in the image. In my opinion, the crusts are always
uniformly thin on a CO3 and never velvet-like and patchy.

I think many feel it is a CO3 based on the numerous very small chondrules
and not the crust. I agree the chondrules are too small for an LL, CV, CR,
CK or even an L. They are too numerous for a CM2 which are sparsely
populated. This leaves only CO, H or Anom types as candidates. I picked an H
type because I have seen examples with exceedingly small chondrules, velvet
like flat black crusts and friable matrixes.

Take Care,

Adam