[meteorite-list] UK possible meteorite (but probably not)

From: ensoramanda <ensoramanda_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri Jul 21 17:38:37 2006

Hi ...what Daniel was referring to

I'm new to the list but have been watching, hunting and collecting
meteorites for 4 years. I was featured at the Natural History Museum,
London, on the BBC stardate prog with Rob Elliot a couple of years ago
with a meteorite found after a fireball from Ireland in 2003...(think I
have another small piece from the same strewnfield from this years visit
which I need to get checked out). I live near the Barwell fall in UK.

Not found any more about your Caister story apart from this..

http://comm.uea.ac.uk/press/release.asp?id=639

/ 26/06/2006
 From rural Norfolk to Mars...and beyond Hundreds of teenagers in rural
Norfolk are taking a trip to Mars this month, with the help of
scientists from the University of East Anglia.

As part of a series of hands-on events, the pupils will don lab coats
and goggles to study snow algae ? the indestructible ?cosmic microbe?
which is the prime contender for ?greening? Mars to make it habitable to
humans. They will also hold a piece of meteorite in their hands that was
whizzing through space less than five years ago and even extract their
very own DNA.

The special UEA science taster workshops, funded by the Government?s Aim
Higher initiative, will be held at schools across rural Norfolk
throughout the summer. The fun experiments include:

? Studying snow algae ? a bizarre plant which turns snow pink and is the
prime contender for colonising Mars and making it habitable to humans. ?
Extracting DNA from the pupils? own cheeks which they wear home in a
glass vial attached to a necklace! ? Examining ancient pieces of rock
which were hit by an asteroid 30 million years ago. ? Testing the
physical strength of different plants ? from passion flowers to cucumber
plants - to understand plant ecology.

Norfolk is one of the poorest performing counties in the UK in terms of
higher education take-up and the new UEA scheme targets schools where
this is of particular concern.

Around 60 year 9/10 pupils (14 to 15-year-olds) from each of the
following schools will be taking part:

July 3 Alderman Peel High School, Wells-next-the-Sea July 4 Methwold
High School, Thetford July 6 Rosemary Musker High School, Thetford July
13 Park High School, King?s Lynn

The scheme is run by Dr Kay Yeoman and Dr Harriet Jones, of UEA?s School
of Biological Sciences, who will also be taking science out into the
community as part of the forthcoming BA Festival of Science hosted by
UEA, Norwich Research Park and Norwich City in September.

?Many youngsters in rural parts of the county do not consider science ?
or even higher education ? an option,? said Dr Yeoman.

?By taking UEA scientists out into the community, we are hoping to raise
youngsters? aspirations. We are using science as a tool to inspire and
excite them about the world.?

The following schools have already taken part in the scheme: Caister
High School; Hammonds High School, Swaffham; North Walsham High School;
Cliff Park High School, Gorleston; Charles Burrell High School,
Thetford; and Stalham High School.

One teacher said: ?The main barriers pupils face are their low
aspirations and not wanting to be thought of as ?clever?.?

Another commented: ?The event was enjoyable and hands-on ? the pupils
were highly entertained. The school children were particularly excited
by extracting, and seeing, their own DNA.?

The BA Festival of Science takes place from September 2-9 in venues
across the UEA campus, Norwich Research Park and Norwich City. To view
the full programme, including the many events for children, visit
www.the-ba.net. You can book tickets on the website or by calling 0207
0194963. The BA Festival of Science is supported by the East of England
Development Agency.
/
.notice that Caister High school had a meteorite to look at recently...a
bit of a coincidence that the kids from that area find one so soon
afterwards eh?

Sorry if this just gets to you but never posted anything on the list yet.

Llewrab (Graham Ensor)

Darren Garrison wrote:

http://www.greatyarmouthmercury.co.uk/content/yarmouthmercury/news/story.aspx?brand=GYMOnline&category=news&tBrand=GYMonline&tCategory=news&itemid=NOED21%20Jul%202006%2009%3A08%3A46%3A370

Rock came out of the blue

It came from outer space - and nearly hit three Caister teenagers.

Friends Christian Baker, Liam Luxton and Jason Hewitt, all 14, were on
Caister
beach at about 6.30pm on Monday when they saw a rock falling from the sky.

Christian, a Caister High School pupil, said: ?It fell quite close to us
and it
was going at a high speed.
?When we picked it up it was too hot to hold for very long.?

He described the rock, now thought to be a metorite as about the size of
his
palm.
?It is coloured orange and black. I am definitely going to keep it - it is
really cool.?

The meteorite now has pride of place in Christian's home, and the family
are
planning to see if anyone can positively identify it.

In August 2004 Lowestoft woman Pauline Aguss, 76, was left with a gash
on the
arm after being hit by a meteorite.
On average one meteorite falls every week to earth and the last
significant find
in the UK was in 1991 in Peterborough.