[meteorite-list] NWA 2918 CO3.0 reclassification AND Most Current/Accurate Meteorite Classification

From: Jeff Grossman <jgrossman_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat Jul 22 20:11:57 2006

Two replies for the price of one:

1) NWA 2918. An abstract is not peer reviewed, however I'll stand by
my classification of NWA 2918. It's a very nice meteorite, but more
metamorphosed than 3.0. There are actually three CO3.0
chondrites. In addition to ALHA77307, Y-81020 and Colony are both
3.0, but Colony is so horribly weathered that it is scarcely worth mentioning.

2) What is the most current and accurate classification? Let me editorialize.

* The Catalogue of Meteorites online database used to be the best,
but it has simply not been updated frequently enough to keep up with
current science or new
meteorites. http://www.nhm.ac.uk/research-curation/projects/metcat/

* MetBase, which is not an online resource, is very current (usually
within 6 months), but in a few cases the classifications have been
updated in a less conservative way than I would
do. http://www.metbase.de/. It is an excellent resource.

* The original Meteoritical Bulletin classifications were simply
initial evaluations, so they are not to be trusted down the road.

* In the MetBull database, you will find a "recommended"
classification. These are largely taken from MetBase plus NomCom,
ANSMET, and NIPR data releases that postdate the latest edition of
MetBase. However, they are tempered by me. For example, if you look
up Tagish Lake, MetBase will tell you it's CI2, which was a
speculative statement in the initial description and a few
abstracts. The NHM Catalogue database just says C2, which is not
very helpful. If you read the literature, especially Zolensky's big
2002 paper in MAPS, it's pretty clear that a conservative conclusion
would be C2 ungrouped. So when I think MetBase went too far, as in
this case, I back it off a bit in the recommendation. In other
words, I am the editor of this database. You can always see the
original MetBull, the NHM, and the MetBase classification as well.
http://tin.er.usgs.gov/meteor/

* The new Encyclopedia of Meteorites is a work in progress. It gets
a lot of information directly from the MetBull database (in real time
now!), but it also lists a number of meteorites that are not formally
named or classified. You take your chances with these, as far as I'm
concerned. http://www.encyclopedia-of-meteorites.com/login.asp

If there's anything else out there online, I don't know much about
it. So there you have it.

Jeff