AW: [meteorite-list] Norway here we come!

From: Martin Altmann <altmann_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon Jul 24 05:42:10 2006

Hi Dean, Matt et al. and all,

We don't have to forget, that if a special law explicitly mentioning
meteorites does exist in a country, then it is a great exception.
Most countries don't have productive areas, wherefrom meteorites occur,
and politicians and the judiciary aren't different from other people too:
They simply don't know, what a meteorite is and never would get the idea to
enact an extra law for meteorites, when there every 30 years or so a little
stone is found.

Norway is not a desert state, it has 11 meteorites since Chladni found out,
what a meteorite is. So I doubt that it has any law concerning the removal
or export of meteorites and a way to subsume such a stone from space to
existing laws would first have to be found.
Very sure I am, that no embassy there would be able to give you a correct
answer.

I remember well the difficulties to determine the legal status of the
Neuschwanstein meteorite, which fell a few years ago here in Germany.
Germany is the country of Chladni, has very old institutional collections,
has 4 times more finds&falls than Norway and is known to be a silly sick
overregulated country with a Kafkaesque jungle of laws, regulations and
precedents (which sometimes even overrule physical laws of nature).

Hence, if such a country, where people e.g. have a legal right for a
temperature of 20?C on the toilets at their place of employment and where on
the countryside the roosters are sentenced to crow on weekdays only from 7
a.m. on, but on weekend and on holydays not before 8 a.m.,
hence if even there doesn't exist a law for meteorites, why should be then
there a law in Norway?

For the Neuschwanstein stones they found out, that they are no exploitable
treasures of the soil, nor archaeological cultural items, nor mushrooms and
berries to be picked, and finally found a law handling with natural
monuments of the soil. Well, so one part belonged to the finders, the other
half to the land owner.
A few km away, as those laws are federal laws, one would have had to prove
other laws.

Meteorites are so extremely rare (and have no economical relevance), that I
guess, that in the very most countries do not only exist no laws concerning
them, but also, that never someone had the idea to concern oneself with the
question under which laws a meteorite could fall.

And of course at an embassy they won't be able to give you a binding
disclosure :-)

Anyway, I suppose that only by great chance there will be found more stones
of that fall, our expedition team is on the way home again, so that those
questions won't have to be answered.

Buckleboo!
Martin

-----Urspr?ngliche Nachricht-----