[meteorite-list] Black inclusions in NWA R-Chondrites?

From: Darren Garrison <cynapse_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon Jul 24 14:20:59 2006

On Mon, 24 Jul 2006 12:55:32 -0400, you wrote:

>Hi, all,
>
>Interesting inclusions - they sure do look carbonaceous, eh?
>
>I recall coming across a photo of a NWA 869 with a similar inclusion (quite
>a while ago now, sorry - no link!), and the accompanying suggestion was that
>it was either carbon or graphite based.

Here's a couple of examples of the black areas in NWA 869 from my collection:

http://webpages.charter.net/garrison6328/nwa_869_micromount.jpg

http://webpages.charter.net/garrison6328/nwa869clast_03.jpg

Note that the black areas in 869 are pretty much flat and featuress, but the
black areas in the R chondrites are filled with chondrules.

http://webpages.charter.net/garrison6328/nwa2943_black_detail.jpg

The significance of that, I could only guess at.