[meteorite-list] SMART-1 Image: Lomonosov - A Large Crater Filled By Lava

From: E.P. Grondine <epgrondine_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue Jul 25 14:28:50 2006

Hi -

While the Moon lacks an atmosphere, which is required
for an airblast, isn't it more likely that what we're
seeing here is impact glass rather than lava?

I can't see how lava would pool at such a shallow
depth, given that the Moon's core hsa been cooled for
some billions of years now.

I suppose we'll just have to wait for the Chinese
rover's results in 2018.

good hunting,
Ed