[meteorite-list] Southern Delta Aquarids METEOR SHOWER

From: dean bessey <deanbessey_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat Jul 29 03:08:23 2006

I saw my first meteor shower last night at kumue
observatory in Auckland. Probably not as impressive as
some people have seen meteor showers but we we getting
more than one a minute. Once I saw two at the same
time, a skinny and a fat one that came from the same
area (It was sort of cool and had the illusion of
starting in the same place as if it broke apart).
Apparantly at the star party 100 miles away last
weekend there were lots also and my friend said that
he saw one in his telescope (I missed the party
unfortunately).
We were stargazing and the meteors were unexpected.
I got the name "Southern Delta Aquarids" a few minutes
ago from searching google wondering if there was
indeed supposed to be a meteor shower going on now but
I dont know if I have the name right.
This was my first ever meteor shower and the first
time I was ever able to look up and really expect to
see a meteor. I had my 4 month old baby with me so it
was kind of special - even if it was only one meteor a
minute. How does that compare to normal meteor
showers?
The only negitave was that none appear to have fallen
all the way down.
Cheers
DEAN