[meteorite-list] Re: Comet: Talking Points, #1

From: E.P. Grondine <epgrondine_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun Jul 30 12:19:19 2006

Hi Marco, all -

The lack of results from the new Europen Greenland ice
cores is disturbing, given the gross physical remains
from impacts of fragments of Comet Encke, the
contemporary text accounts of climate collapses, and
the tree ring evidence.

--- Marco Langbroek <marco.langbroek_at_wanadoo.nl>
wrote:

> Sterling, did you ever see a cosmic dust particle
> under the microscope, let alone have you searched
for them?

> I did. I searched for and found cosmic spherules in
> sediment samples from an archaeological excavation.

Which archeological excavation was that, Marco? What
were the results?

> What we are talking about here is a significant flux
> of large meteoroids entering our atmosphere and
> creating airbursts (given the lack of impact
> craters), if this theory is correct.

Actually, no atmospheric burst are necessary,
particularly in the case of comets, where there
already is a dust stream.

> If the skies of AD 540 dayly resounded with thunder
> from meteoric airbursts, the enhanced dust influx
due > to it should be visible.

Yes, it should, and it is - in the tree rings. The
question now is why it is not in the ice cores.

Could this be due to processsing errors, in other
words errors in technique? They have reported that
isotopes were being used to measure sunspot activity
as well, and could this have thrown off the dust
measurements?

I am waiting for further information on how the ice
cores were processed, and the release of the raw data.

good hunting,
EP