[meteorite-list] British Study Attempts to Calculate Odds ofBeing Hit By a Meteorite

From: Darren Garrison <cynapse_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon Jul 31 12:18:52 2006

On Mon, 31 Jul 2006 03:59:04 -0500, you wrote:

> I think that, by the indicated weights, they are referring to
>the mass of the object to reach the ground at speed. You will
>note that they say of the eight 25 pounders "if they landed," but
>the vast majority never would.

A slight addition, if what they were calculating was a 25 lb meteorite hitting
"at speed", meaning full cosmic velocity, then that person about to be hit would
probably have something else to worry about-- namely "why am I standing in a
column of vacuum that extends to the top of the atmosphere?" and would probably
die of asphyxiation before the 25 pounder reached him.