[meteorite-list] Iimpact Crater -- Nicaragua, Stefan Brandes

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri Jun 2 21:49:35 2006

Hi, List,

    I received the following email concerning the
possible impact crater in Nicaragua that Stefan
Brandes posted to The List.

    He seems to be a bit exorcised about Stefan's
"finding" it as he has a website discussing its possible
impact origin; I can't read Deutsche but it looks
impressive, with lots of views from Google Earth.
He has written about it in Wikipedia, etc.

    He seems that he may feel that Stepfan claims
to have discovered it, but the context of Stefan's
original posting is quite otherwise:
    "Has anybody heard about an impact crater in
    Nicaragua at coordinates 13?21' N / 85? 57' W
    It?s about 12km in diameter and the town
    of Las Praderas lies directly in the center.
    It?s very good to see in Google Earth."

    It sounds to me as if Stefan has "heard" of it,
and is asking if anybody on The List has more
information about it, that's all. Although some of
those who responded to his posting may have
assumed that Stefan "found" it, Stefan does not
say so.

    As Mr. Kowald requests, I forward his email
to Stefan and as I have only the same email address
for him as Kowald does, I am posting Kowald's
email to The List, hoping I am not encouraging
an unnecessary quarrel.

Sterling K. Webb