[meteorite-list] Satellite Reentry Witness

From: Larry Lebofsky <lebofsky_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri Jun 2 21:51:28 2006

Hi:

Make that 2!

Sorry for the delayed response, but weeks behind reading all of my email.

Long ago, when I was a graduagte student (early 1970s), two of us were driving
up Mt. Wilson (north of Pasadena, CA) to observe. We saw something out of the
window and actually had time to stop. I loked like a bolide, but was moving
relatively slowly. At first we thought it could have been a plane or something.

When we got to the top of the mountain, we happened to mention it to some of
the other astronomers up there. Ten minutes later, I was live on a local (Loos
Angeles) radio station as an expert on things falling from the sky!

I had no idea what the heck it was, but given that it was too slow for a
bolide (I thought) I took a chance and said that maybe it was a satellite.

Sure enough, the next day, the newspaper quoted me, but said that it had been
identified by "government officials" as a Russian booster!

At least I got one thing right as a graduate student.

Larry