[meteorite-list] Rocks From Space Picture of the Day - June 3, 2006

From: Alexander Seidel <gsac_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun Jun 4 19:40:33 2006

> http://www.spacerocksinc.com/June_3.html

Gosh, what a little sucker!

Thank you, Michael, for continuing to provide excellent meteorite pics to our little community.

The pic collection would make a great picture book of meteorites, and I personally believe, in such a case there would be no real big problems with the copyrights, since the (mostly private) providers of the pics would likely agree to have these printed on paper w/o charge, or just a minor charge, or most likely just a name credit instead - or am I definitely wrong with my humble estimation in this respect?

Well, then again one of my meteorite friends pointed out to me, that doing a book project is extremely costly by itself, and the museums use to charge a substantial amount of money for having pics of their inventory meteorites published somewhere - even if they are not the pic providers themselves, and you are using your own private equipment for having pics made of their treasures instead.

Anyone out there who would like to comment on this or share his or her experiences with museum curators, or has general experiences with such a project?

Disclaimer btw: I am not the one either capable of or interested in doing such a book project, and I ask this just out of mere curiosity, but as a long-time collector I surely would be a buyer of such a fine book, another one in a series of very fine samples already available from a bunch of esteemed authors - y?all know the names, of course. May be I am a bit old-fashioned, while I still prefer books over digital archives, but then again there are people like Michael Johnson, who are doing a really fantastic job here, thanks again Michael!

Alex
Berlin/Stade, Germany