[meteorite-list] Big Bang in Antarctica - Killer CraterFoundUnderIce

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun Jun 4 19:42:44 2006

Hi,

    Actually, I like it too. Except that I favor
the idea of the shock waves from the impact
focusing on the far side of the planet and causing
mantle plumes to break through and basalt to
flood there. The Moon shows faint evidence of this
happening there, but Mercury has a huge area
of "chaotic terrain" directly opposite the biggest
impact, the Caloris Basin.
    These really big impacts are so far out of
our experience that it's really difficult to imagine,
even using mathematical models, what could
result from them.

Sterling K. Webb