[meteorite-list] Extra solar impactors and comets

From: Kevin Forbes <vk3ukf_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun Jun 4 19:43:41 2006

Greetings all,

a thought to pervade your mind and something else to contemplate apart from
your navel.

The oort cloud, the very outer extremeties of our solar system, millions of
bodies, probably mainly ices mixed with silicates. Cometary bodies and
planetary orbs lost to the depths of space. But, they are there. Other star
systems probably have a similar 'oort' thing around them, slowy following
the gravitational attraction of the central star in that system as it drifts
through the galaxy. Over time, a passing of stars occurs, not an entirely
close call, but one that would allow material and bodies of one system to
migrate or be stolen by the other system. A dramatic change in course for
the migrating body, some may just change from their origanl formation parent
to their new foster star and stay in the darkness, some may have a different
set of motions inflicted upon them, sending them on a course that sweeps
through the inner system of rocky planets. Look out.

How many orphans are there in space, not gravitationally attached to any
star, having either been ejected through orbital conflicts in a system with
a larger more massive body, or formed ( I shall call this, 'A Dark System' )
a dark system, a coagulation of material from a cloud of dust and icy
particles that certainly forms lumps, but comes nowhere near that of
forming a solar system. How many 'Dark Systems' are there, and how often do
they collide with star systems and loose material or meld with.

And now, I must make a comment regards a statement by a scientist that made,
in my opinion, an awakening utterance. At first I thought, 'outrageous',
'how silly'. Silicate dusts were found in cometary debris, he therefore
postulated that comets must have formed near the sun. ????????????

In my mind, I see bodies of the inner solar system being the source of the
silicate dusts, their constant impacts creating a constant supply of fine
dusts that would be blown by solar wind to the extremeties of the outer
solar system, where they would fall upon any icy cometary bodies that they
happened to chance upon. It must be obvious to that icy bodies such as
comets would NOT form near the sun, due to the temperature being high. Any
comets hanging around near the inner solar system, Jupiter and inwards would
quickly evaporate. Comets must be born in the cold outer reaches of our or
other systems. Some comets in our system at this moment may have been stolen
from passing systems as the two interacted for a period during their passing
of each other. The fact that there are silicate dusts mixed up in the ices,
would suggest that they have been collecting 'fairy dust' for a period of
time. What could have happened??? Perhaps before the sun burst into life, in
the pre-solar nebula, the bulk of the comets did in fact reside in the inner
solar system. When the larger bodies began to accumulate they were ejected
en-masse to the outer reaches where they are now existing as a record of
what happened, waiting for us to go there, and study. Can isotopic ratios
give us a clue as to there original place of formation in the solar nebula?

Is our understanding of such things as isotopic data and distribution
satisfactory to enable this?

I have been absent from the list for a while, I may have missed something
that I should not have.

If you are thinking that I need a thick ear, then please, bash away.

Yours faithfully, Kevin Forbes, VK3UKF.