[meteorite-list] Bright Fireball Blazes Over Northern Minnesota

From: GeoZay_at_aol.com <GeoZay_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri Jun 9 00:07:16 2006

>>Many witnesses described Friday's fireball as being green or
bluish-green in color (common for a stony meteor), turning to red near
the end of its flight.<<
I suspect this one did hit the ground somewhere. The reason because
witnesses said it "turned red near the end of it's flight." This is exactly what I
saw in 1993 when a fireball over San Diego, California occurred. This fireball
produced a very loud single "thunderclap" 243 seconds after it disappeared.
At the very end of the meteor's incandescent phase, it turned a dark
red...like a lit cigarette being tossed in the dark. When that winked out, I was
barely able to perceive a dark object continuing the flight for about a half
second. I suspect this may be a characteristic of a meteorite dropping meteor if
carefully observed.
George Zay