[meteorite-list] Meteorite Fall in Norway?

From: GeoZay_at_aol.com <GeoZay_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat Jun 10 12:39:49 2006

>>At around 2:05 a.m. on Wednesday, residents of the northern part of
Troms and the western areas of Finnmark could clearly see a ball of fire
taking several seconds to travel across the sky.

A few minutes later an impact could be heard and geophysics and
seismology research foundation NORSAR registered a powerful sound and
seismic disturbances at 02:13.25 a.m. at their station in Karasjok.

"I saw a brilliant flash of light in the sky, and this became a light
with a tail of smoke," Bruvold told Aftenposten.no. He photographed the
object and then continued to tend to his animals when he heard an
enormous crash.

"I heard the bang seven minutes later. It sounded like when you set off
a solid charge of dynamite a kilometer (0.62 miles) away," Bruvold said.

"There were ground tremors, a house shook and a curtain was blown into
the house," Norway's best known astronomer Knut J?rgen R?ed ?degaard
told Aftenposten.no.

R?ed ?degaard said the meteorite was visible to an area of several
hundred kilometers despite the brightness of the midnight sunlit summer
sky. The meteorite hit a mountainside in Reisadalen in North Troms.

"This is simply exceptional. I cannot imagine that we have had such a
powerful meteorite impact in Norway in modern times. If the meteorite
was as large as it seems to have been, we can compare it to the
Hiroshima bomb.<<

Okay...reading the words carefully, I get the sense that there was a huge
sonic boom and no terminal burst. There was probably a meteorite that fell to
the ground somewhere. The report of it hitting a mountainside may be assumed
and not necessarily had hit the ground with the power of a hiroshima bomb. It
may have simply dropped. This just may be the sensation people got from the
air sonics as it passed over and not the sounds of an impact. There doesn't
seem to be any eyewitness account of actually seeing it hit the ground. Maybe
that will show up later? On the other hand, if it did hit the ground while
still incandescent...then it must be a whopper...perhaps ten tons or more.
George Zay